The following outlines the steps of the eligibility determination process for the Ohio Works First cash assistance program, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Assistance), and Ohio Medicaid. Please read the following information carefully to ensure your application is processed as quickly as possible. Please note it may take up to 30 days to complete your application. We complete cases in the order that they are received and when all verification documents required for each program have been received.
STEP 1: SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
You can submit your application in the following ways:
FAX: Fax your signed application to (740) 689-4848
DELIVER IN PERSON: Signed applications can be submitted in person at Fairfield County Job and Family Services at 239 West Main Street, Lancaster, OH 43130
MAIL: Signed applications can also be mailed to the address above.
To Apply for Medicaid only, visit benefits.ohio.gov. If you are applying for Medicaid, your tax status information is needed. Please complete the MAGI tax information worksheet and submit with your application.
STEP 2: GATHER VERIFICATION DOCUMENTS
As part of the application process, you will need to submit a number of verification documents. The specific documents accepted are listed on the application instructions, but in general we will need to verify:
- Residency for household members
- All income and allowable expenses for household members, and
- Basic information such as identity, Social Security Number(s) and Birth Verification(s) for any household member applying for assistance
STEP 3: THE INTERVIEW
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a letter in the mail with an appointment date and time. Unless you meet certain expedited criteria, the appointment will scheduled no later than 10 business days of the submission of your application.
- Most eligibility interviews are completed by phone.If you cannot complete an interview by phone, please let us know.In-person interviews will be held on the second floor of Fairfield County Job and Family Services at 239 West Main Street.
- Please plan for your interview to take 1 hour.If you are applying for cash assistance, a separate work activity interview will be scheduled with you.
- During the interview, your caseworker will be able to answer any questions you may have about the application process.
* Please note: Most Medicaid applications do not require an interview.
STEP 4: RETURN ANY ADDITIONAL VERIFICATION DOCUMENTS
At the end of your interview, your caseworker will provide you with a checklist of any additional verification documents we need to complete your case. The sooner you return the verification documents, the sooner we can make a determination of your eligibility for assistance.
Return verification documents to us with your name and case number or social security number on each document.
FAX: Fax your documents to (740)689-4848
MAIL: The caseworker who completes your interview will send you a postage-paid envelope to return any documents requested during the interview.
EMAIL: You can return documents electronically by taking a clear photo of each verification (one page per photo, please) and emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DELIVER IN PERSON: Your documents can be scanned by the receptionist in our lobby on the first floor at 239 West Main Street, Lancaster, OH 43130